Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Expectations


I have a recurring seasonal problem. In the spring, it happens right after Easter when drug stores push out all their pastel-wrapped candy and mass-produced "Welcome Spring" junk and replace it with extremely bright plasticware for your poolside parties and backyard barbecues. The illusion is that I will, by the time it is appropriate to use such things (yet a few months off in Cleveland), be slim, tan and sitting by the pool with my nails done and my cute children splashing nearby. This, of course, never happens. I am lucky if I even get to the pool more than twice and I don't have kids anyhow.
While I am realizing with sorrow that I did not have the summer of my expectations, spending the last few minutes of Labor Day at a pool somewhere, and doing my nails, the stores are already starting to stock their shelves with Fall Items. This would include lots of overpriced chunks of wax that smell like apple pie or caramel cookies and more mass-produced wreaths, this time with the word "Fall" stuck on in chunky wooden letters painted by people who do not speak English. I ignore most of this blather, knowing that in just a few weeks, the Christmas stuff will be on the shelves.
I approach this with caution, but it still sucks me in anyhow, and I let it happen. I shop alone, slowly walking through the quiet aisles, knowing that only a few of us are looking at this stuff yet. I want to see what the new thing is and try to remember what i have in storage. The vision I have is to actually be "ahead of the game this year" and have my cards go out on the day after Thanksgiving, have a party the second weekend of December and have plenty of extremely beautiful cookies baked, ready to eat and share. Hopes of this continue until around... NOW.
It is December 21st. The house is very decorated, very OVER-decorated. I have a Santa Station, a Silver and Gold window sill, a Rudolph Shelf, Snowman Center, Country Christmas Corner and, of course, a Nativity Scene. Outside are blinky lights, a wreath, 2 inflatables and some peppermint candies. No one drops by to see such things, but I enjoy them as do some of my family members and my niece and nephews.
But, that is it. We've only bought one gift, I just got my new oven so I did not start baking yet, I am excited about having company on Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day, but I am stressed about not being ready, so I am burning out. This means I am fighting a cold, which also means I am too tired to care or to make things work out.
On the other hand, what is there to work out, if you just view Christmas as the Feast of the Nativity? Nothing. You come as you are, and you prepare your heart and you expect God. This is, actually, much easier than all the other preparations, since it does not include "stuff." Just prepare Him room. The cookies don't matter anyhow.

No comments: