Friday, April 14, 2006

Compulsive Gardening


I cannot stop going outside! And as soon as I start any part of the yard, I've started 3 more.
This year's Special surprise are the violets. Since I've lived here we have violets that come up from under some shrubs. One year I moved a bunch of the shrubs to the side of the house, and along with the shrubs went the violets. Thing is, this side of the house is the north side and now the flowers have a place to act like they are in their own little woodland area, being between the house and the shrubs. They are profuse and are in at least 5 different colors: a pale fuchia, cornflower blue, purple, and violet. A few pink and white ones are in there too. I am guessing the soil acidity might have something to do with the variations, but I've not researched it yet. The big surprise is the sweet smell! I've smelled violets before, but this is amazing! The perfume comes wafting around the corner of the house and sends you into la-la Springland. I don't have a digital camera, but I will add a photo when I get any back.
Other than that, I uncovered a small sunny/dry plot by the door. There I have the lavender, lemon thyme, grape hyacinths, and balloon flower and have added a yellow coreopsis, a foxglove and coral bells. The oxeye daisies have popped up there as well, which they seem to do where ever they are in the mood.
In the back, the Japanese irises are up, as well as the clemitis, both gifts from Marie! The photo shows you how the irises came out last year-- really pretty! The new lupine I planted last year is coming up nicely and what ever is next to it will be a surprise since I forget what it is! Next to all on the arch that I planted beans and morning glories. I know it is before May, but if they don't make it, it is only a few pennies I spent, since they were cheap seeds. I can just replant. If the petunia seeds sprout and the birds don't eat the sunflower seeds, it will be yet another miracle.
In the big garden I won't do a whole lot until I get done burying the waterline, which was annoying to look at last year, but handy since we sure did not get much rain.
Okay, that is enough for now about my obsession...

No comments: