Thursday, June 20, 2013

End of Spring

It's been a lovely spring, really. Not for other states, perhaps, but in our area, very nice.
I divided up my gardening and had the kids more involved this year. Last year, we were not home much and it had to be one of the worst years for gardening anyways, with the horrid heat and lack of rain. This year, we have had refreshing, dry days with blue skies and puffy white clouds. Every few days we get a good rain, so the weeds have been easy to pull. My  hands are sore and in the morning, it's hard to bend my fingers.
I am not saying we have had things planted in neat little rows since May. I've only planted a dozen sunflower seeds so far. We have about 5 plants 6 inches high. Two of their heads have been eaten off already. Most of my hostas are looking ragged, since this is the first year we've had the deer right up to the house as well as lounging in the back. I like this year in the yard because I've not been so alone and because I am allowing myself to enjoy it and FINISH it. I just wish we had money for more soil and lots of mulch.
Today I thought about how nice it is to be at ground-level with the plants and to hear the sounds of birds, leaves moving, the sound of pulling or clipping plants. The colors and smells are so nice.
I will probably plant all my seeds. Some are from this year, some from other years. I don't care- what do I  have to lose? I have no idea if the deer like pumpkins and squash, spinach, and the rest, but I will find out.

No comments: